Friday, May 27, 2016

Very Long Day

Day 1: Sunday 5/8/2016

Today we arrived in Munich around 7:30 am after leaving Newark around 5:30 pm. It was a very hard and long day. I did not sleep at all on the plane ride here so currently I’m going on being awake for 30 hours straight which I never thought was possible. The tour around Augsburg was very cool. We got to see the center square, the town hall, and the Dom as well as tour through the Fuggerei. I was amazed at how big the church (the Dom) was on the inside with its big stained glass windows and numerous statues. In the town hall the main room was spectacularly decorated with gold covered designs and paintings all over the ceilings and walls. If our town meetings were held in rooms decorated like that I’d go to every single meeting! The Fuggerei was like stepping back in time with the tiny little flats and hearing all about the history of the Fugger family. I don’t know if I could live it a place that is as small as they were, but I guess 1 euro a year to live there can’t be beat.  I really enjoyed going into the bomb shelter that was inside of the Fuggerei. I love history and World War 2 so I found this to be especially interesting. Finally, the overall atmosphere of Augsburg amazed me with how different it is from cities in the US. It was so laid back and there were very few cars within the city; almost the complete opposite of cities back home. 

Ceiling of the town hall

No comments:

Post a Comment